close
close

Princess Kate is making a public return amid cancer battle, according to Kensington Palace

Princess Kate returns to public information after her cancer announcement in March.

Kensington Palace announced the news in a press release obtained by USA TODAY, along with a new photo of Kate, which was posted to the official The Prince and Princess of Wales Instagram account.

“My treatment is ongoing and will be for a few more months. On the days I feel well, it’s a joy to engage in school life, spend personal time on things that give me energy and positivity, and start working a little from home,” she said in the post, thanking well-wishers “for all the kind messages of support and encouragement.”

Princess Kate gave royal onlookers an update on her health, writing that she is “making good progress,” while noting that “as anyone who goes through chemotherapy will know, there are good days and bad days.”

“On those bad days you feel weak, tired and you have to give in to your body resting. But on the good days, when you feel stronger, you want to make the most of feeling good,” she wrote in the statement.

The Princess of Wales also said she will attend Trooping the Color, a ceremonial tradition and public celebration of King Charles IIIBirthday on Saturday. She missed last week’s rehearsal of the Colonel’s Review on June 8. The event honors the reigning British monarch, even though his birthday falls on November 14 each year.

“I’m looking forward to attending the King’s Birthday Parade this weekend with my family and hope to be involved in some public engagements over the summer, but at the same time I know I’m not out of the woods yet,” she said in a statement to her Instagram account shared with Prince William.

The working royal, which has been absent from official records and out of the public eye for most of this year, is making a public comeback after announcing a private cancer battle this spring. In March, she appeared in a video message to announce her diagnosis after weeks of speculation and conspiracy theories about her whereabouts.

“I wanted to take this opportunity to thank you personally for all the wonderful messages of support and for your understanding while I’ve been recovering from surgery. It’s been an incredibly tough couple of months for our whole family, but I’ve had an amazing medical team who have taken great care of me for which I am so grateful,” she said in the video.

King Charles, Princess Kate have cancer: What they have said, what to know

Last week, Princess Kate issued a rare apology after she missed last Saturday’s Colonel Review celebrations.

Who is Princess Kate? Age, family, what to know about Princess of Wales amid cancer news

The Irish Guards, a regiment of the British Army, shared a letter Princess Kate sent on X on Saturday in which she wrote that she was proud of “the entire regiment before the colonel’s review and trooping of the color.”

“Being your colonel is still a great honor and I am very sorry that I will not be able to accept the salute at this year’s colonel’s review. Please send my apologies to the entire regiment, but I hope to be able to represent you all once again soon,” she added in the letter.

She continued: “Please send my best wishes and good luck to everyone involved.”

In her announcement video in March, she called her cancer a “huge shock” to her family, adding that she and Prince William have done “everything we can to process and manage this privately for the sake of our young family.” The couple are the parents of three children: Princess George, 10, Princess Charlotte, 8, and Prince Louis, 5.

At the time, she said she would undergo “a course of preventive chemotherapy” for an unknown cancer.

This article was originally published on USA TODAY: Princess Kate returns to public amid battle with cancer

Back To Top